Friday, August 17, 2007

Lets not miss a moment!


Hi everyone-thanks for all the great comments! I’m sorry I didn’t make it on the Blog yesterday; it appears that I had a bout of food poisoning and I’ve literally been in bed over the past 30 hours or so. I’m not exactly sure what I ate, but I doubt I’ll ever eat mushrooms again! I was so sick I missed one morning with Norah, this was the worst part, missing time with her.

Today, I feel much better-still working on re-hydrating myself. During the past 48 hours I’ve only eaten mashed potatoes, Fanta orange soda, sprite and tons of water-oh, and a few bites of lemon meringue pie (very different then ours, but very good)-thank goodness, I’m out of the woods.

Norah was wonderful today; she always has a big gummy smile for me and kicks her legs as if she’s eager to come to me. Every morning, my driver Andre drops me off outside of the baby house, after walking over a small man-made bridge; there is a short road/pathway that leads to the play yard of the baby house. (*see pictures of Larry above) Often, there is a small pack of what appears to be stray dogs at the entrance. Although nothing would keep me from Norah, I sometimes feel a bit nervous not being familiar with these dogs. The dogs never seem to have much interest in me or the children. The children often call out in Russian “sa-BA-ka, sa-BA-ka” this is the Russian word for dog. There are many cats and dogs (by themselves or in small packs) all over the city this is unusual for me to see, but it just appears to be part of the culture. The other word I often hear the kids call out is “ma-SHEE-na” which is the Russian word for car. The children watch for the cars to drive by on the road outside of the fence at the baby house and yell, “ma-SHEE-na, ma-SHEE-na!” Can you imagine what they would say if they could see Uncle John’s tractor collection!

As far as I can tell, the caregivers at the baby house speak almost no English and I of course speak only a very few words in Russian-we do our best with body language to communicate-it’s interesting, but not always successful! The caregivers are always trying to help me for instance by bringing a stroller to push Norah in when she and I are out walking. I of course do not want to put her down for one second. Sometimes, I’ll push her for a few moments to be courteous to show appreciation, but only moment later I scoop my girl up in my arms and hold on tight for our short time together. I believe touch is so important, and I am reassured at how well Norah is responding-she loves it when I touch her face lightly like a feather or tell her the story of the 5 little piggy’s who live at the end of her exquisite tiny feet. When we play these games, she becomes very still like she doesn’t want to miss a moment and neither do I!!

7 comments:

Pam said...

Christy,

Glad to hear you are feeling better. I've had food poisoning a few times and there is nothing worse! Take care and have a wonderful weekend with Norah.

Love,
Pam

Carlee and Uncle Bob said...

Hi Mommy and Norah:
Sorry to hear you have been sick, Christy, but glad you are recovering. I am sure a dose of Norah Helped a lot. She is such a cutie. We all can't wait to meet her in person and have you and Larry home. I am sure you and he are anxious to see eachother soon.
Uncle Bob and Carlee

Aunt Sandy & Uncle John said...

Hi Christy,

So glad to know you are feeling better. We were all very worried about you. I've always told you those mushrooms will get you.(not a lover of mushrooms) Once again you've shown us your whispell-Smith fortitude. Know Abrams adds strenth too. Actually,Miss Norah gives you the Mommy bravery to handle all situations. Know we'll all feel better when Daddy is back with you girls.

Spaseeba for the new vocabulary words. Dog and car are just perfect for us. Wonder what the word for tractor is? Also would like to know the words for Mom,Dad,girl/daughter,love,yes no,or anything else you can share.

Take good care of yourself,don't overdo,and do keep your self hydrated as well as rested.

Big hugs for you and Norah,
Aunt Sandy

Papa said...

Hello aunt Sandy,

I can answer your questions on the spelling of the words. If you are around a book store look for the Lonely Planet Phrasebooks for Russian it's with 3500-word two-way dictionary. I hope I am awake enough on the plane and layover so I can study more words since I didn't make the time before we left. Either way it's pocket size so I can check as I need to when we are out and about. I spoke with MaMa this morning the first in a couple days and she is doing much better. I will speak with her again tomorrow so I can get shopping and all the packing done this weekend. I had a very busy week this week and will again Monday through Wednesday. Thursday I will be wrapping things up in my office. I leave Thursday evening the 23rd and arrive in Kostanai Saturday am. I have a 15 hour layover in Frankfurt so I might just get a hotel room for atleast half the time. Have a great weekend!

Love,

Larry

Father - at-yets
Meal - yi-da
Meat - mya-sa
Milk - ma-la-ko
Money - dyen'-gi
Mother - mat'
Mushroom (your favorite)- grip
Dad - pa-pa
Daughter - doch-ka
Love - lyu-bit'
Lemon - li-mon
Laundry - bil-yo
Lunch - ab-yet
No - nyet
Yes - da
Water - va-da
Wine - vi-no
Weekend - vih-khad-nih-ye
Week - nid-yel-ya
Work - ra-bo-ta
Vegetable - ovash
Visit - vi-za
Vodka - vot-ka
Baby - rib-yo-nak
Bank - bank
Cafe - ka-fe

Aunt Sandy & Uncle John said...

Hi Norah,s Papa,

Thank you for my word list. I'll need lots of vino and votka to help me remember all of them. It,s very interesting to see how closely many words sound like english or other languages we have heard.

We wish you a safe and comfortable trip back to your girls.

Have you and Allyson seen much of each other this week? Having you close by must have made her transition somewhat easier.

Take care,Sandy and John

jim said...

Christy Lyn - I just learned today that you have been sick. I'm sorry! Not what you needed right now, that's for sure. Glad you are better. No more mushrooms, hmmmm, that would have to be pretty bad! :)

Love learning about the language and the culture. Even though we have our differences, at the end of the day I think that we are all more alike than different. I know you will know what I mean.

You would like the pool right now, around 9:00 pm, the temp. was 92 degrees. Just perfect for Christy.

By all reports Allyson is doing well in PA. I hope she and Larry get together before he leaves. We of course miss her like crazy around here.

Sure do miss you, you, Larry and Norah are on all of our minds constantly right now. All our love and prayers to you three, Debbie Sue

Aunt Jennifer said...

Hello from sunny and beautiful Myrtle Beach South Carolina!!! We left your house Friday AM and because the kids were such great little travelers (although the DVD players in the car should get some credit) we drove almost all the way here. We actually had decided to stay in Wilmington and check out my old stomping ground (boy did it feel like my life had come full circle driving into there with my husband and kids!); little did we know that it was check in day at the UNC Wilmington so hotel rooms were impossible to find. We wound up finding a place closer to Myrtle Beach and only had an hour left to drive!

Our hotel is beautiful we all had lots of fun at the indoor waterpark on the main floor and then went out to experience the beach. I am happy to report that everyone loved the sand and water so we had a great time!!! We saw what appeared to be an extended family out on the beach and talked about how fun it would be to come here with Aunts, Uncles, Cousins.... Hope it can happens someday!

I hate to tell you that I think we really are getting old. We drove around today and saw the Bluewater Resort, the Dolphins Cove Gift Shop (downtown with glass tower by the boardwalk) and I realized that all of the places we used to visit which seemed so pretty and modern back then seem fairly old and outdated now!

I know Larry is anxious to get back to you and can only imagine how happy you will be to see him! Glad that you are feeling better, being sick is never fun and being so far from home and alone I'm sure made it worse. Maybe you will be more willing to consider mushrooms again when you can have them in Rigatoni ala' Vodka from Ninas???

Love to hear the stories about your time with Norah! You are a natural at nurturing - as you have proven for years with nieces/nephews/friends children/elderly etc. it is no surprise to me that Norah is excited to see you coming! You do fun and loving things with her and she feels happy when you are around!

Larry mentioned he would need to know soon if you are planning to come home with him for the month waiting period.... I can only imagine how difficult of a decision this must be - just follow your heart on what feels right and I'm sure everything will be OK. Remember that feeling of having someone/something watch over you - I'm sure that will continue no matter what you decide.

Love, Hugs, and Kisses from the Beach,
Jennifer