Saturday, August 11, 2007

The Eensey Weensey Spider


08.11.2007

Norah seems to be fascinated with my fingers and hands. She loves ‘The Eensey Weensey Spider’. She’ll watch my fingers go up & down the spout over & over again. For those of you who know me, I’m the worlds worst singer (truly can not hit a note); however, Norah is the most adoring audience, I’m in love!

Who knew I’d meet the love of my life in KAZAKHSTAN? So many people have asked Larry and me “Why Kazakhstan?” Truth be told, one step at a time, our path simply lead us here. Initially, because of Larry’s Russian family heritage we were interested in adopting from Russia. However, through our research and talks with several adoption agencies, and honestly just a gut feeling, we continued to gently nudge our way to what is part of the former Soviet Union. We discovered that we would still experience the rich Russian culture as about 50 % of Kazakhstan’s people are Russian, and the official language here is Russian. Interestingly we’ve come to learn that by 2030, the country will return to speaking their native Kazak language.

In the beginning, I thought to myself, ‘I can’t even pronounce Kazakhstan’. After being explained the process of international adoption from this strange sounding country, I went home feeling incredibly overwhelmed. I was quietly thinking to myself, “How many hours, layovers and plane trips does it take to get to Kazakhstan?” “How many months will we be in this foreign place?”, “How many court hearings?”, “How many trips to bring our little one home?” We’ve been told many things from many different people; “you may not have hot water in Kazakhstan”, “you’ll lose weight in Kazakhstan, because the food will be horrible (no such luck)” and “do not expect the American Standard in Kazakhstan”. Despite all of this (none of which we found to be true by the way), some place inside this little voice kept saying, “Follow the path to Kazakhstan”.

Now that we are here, I have realized not only did this path lead us to the most amazing gift of our life, but we have a beautiful hotel room, hot showers every day, the food is, as we’ve already mentioned, some of the best we’ve ever had, Kostanai, Kazakhstan is beautiful and yes, different then American, but, that’s what makes it such a grand adventure!

So, I want to say to my Niece Taylor May who frequently asks the question, “Aunt Christy, what are you happy about today?” Today, I’m happy to be in the wonderful country of Kazakhstan with my beautiful Daughter, Norah Caroline Irina Abrams (Oh my God, I have a DAUGHTER!!). It seems there’s no greater joy then feeling one is in the exact right place at the exact right time; here’s to serendipity!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Christy, Larry and Norah - Its great to see you all so happy. Christy, your postings have brought tears to my eyes more than once. Norah is beautiful and I am so happy for you that you have a daughter and that you and Larry are parents. Your poem was beautiful too. I read it to Charles and he was touched as well.
Charles and Deanne ask about you 3 all the time. I say - look at the pictures and you can see how happy they all are. Norah coming into your lives couldn't happen to 2 more well deserving or nicer people.

Thank you for allowing me to be part of this special time with you and your family.

Be Safe
Love to all
Lisa, Charles and Deanne

Aunt Sandy & Uncle John said...

Zdrahst Christy and lala Norah,

We just had a call from Debbie that she is home in AZ. It was very hard for her to leave Allyson. It's nice that Larry is in town for a couple of weeks. Once Ally gets busy with college and work the time should pass quickly before you are all together.

You brought tears to your aunt's eyes with your poem. Your eloquent
way of describing your feelings for Norah is touching so many hearts.

I'm certain you know that Uncle John,Uncle Bob and I were in Pa on Thursday and Friday. Spending time with Deb,Ally and Larry was great but our Christy sunshine was missing. We can hardly wait to have the Abrams family at home.

Spaseeba for your wonderful pictures,news and way of making us feel we are with you in this adventure.

All our love to you and Norah,
Aunt Sandy and Uncle John

Unknown said...

Christy-

I read the poem you posted yesterday and I thought - "Yep, she's a mom now!"

Ain't it great?

Stacey

Aunt Jennifer said...

She already knows what hand to hold on to for security and love.....